Book Review : "Anne Frank : The Diary of a Young Girl"


Mahima with the book
I thought I knew the story of Anne Frank and in a way I did, I knew about the world she lived in, the way she had lived in The secret annexe for 2 years, only to be captured so close to the end of the World War. However, I never really knew Anne's story; at least not until I read the diary, "Anne Frank : The Diary of a Young Girl”.
           
In this diary along with the personal reflections, thoughts and dreams, Anne Frank captures the grave tragedies inflicted by the madness of the Nazi regime and the Second World War.
          
Anne had mentioned of receiving a diary for her 13th birthday and soon had made up her mind that her diary wouldn't just be an account of what she did each day.


"I hope I shall be able to confide in you completely, as I have never been able to do in anyone before, and I hope that you will be a great supporter and comfort to me,” was the first entry in her diary.
             
On Saturday 20 June,1942, Anne writes, "I don't want to set down a series of bald facts in a fairy like most people do, but I want this diary itself to be my friend, and I shall call my friend KITTY." From then on, each entry became a letter to Kitty, the friend that Anne could share anything with.
               
She feels her experiences have matured her beyond her fourteen years, and she felt her father should have trusted her with that.
             
On August 1,1994, Anne makes her last entry, where she writes about the continuous struggle between her contradictory inner self : "No one knows Anne's better side and that's why most people can't stand me. Oh, I can be an amazing clown for an afternoon but after that everyone had enough of me to last a month. Actually, I'm what a romantic movie is to a profound thinker - a mere division..."
            
There's no abrupt or dramatic ending of the diary.
           
She is also considered one of the most important figures of 20th century and The Diary of a Young Girl is one of the most read books of all time.
         
Anne Frank gave me an entirely new outlook in the context of life, it also helped me to understand myself. Her diary will always have a place in my home and a place in my heart.

Mahima Rane, SYBA.

Comments

  1. Good book, good review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so interesting.
    Makes me want to read the book.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Unveiling the Economic Impact of Ram Mandir Inauguration.

The Real Estate Crisis of the Dragon