Arthotsav BTS: Social Media Department



The Social Media Department is all over the place trying to figure out what poses they are going to pose in for their departmental photoshoot when I ask them to gather around in one place for a little interview. Suchitra from the department, makes an announcement and all 12 of them take seats on the stairs in front of me. They greet me and I promise them that I would make it quick so they can get their photos clicked.

Being a part of social media too, I introduce myself to them as a member of LA who wants to know what exactly did they think was the role of social media in Arthotsav. Sharvari, is the first member to answer, “Social Media helps with the promotions of the fest, it helps recruit participants from other colleges.”

“Our job, basically is to introduce to everyone how fun Arthotsav is!” Krutika adds and others nod in agreement. Piyusha, another member is quick to add that the Social Media Department is the best way to reach out to people and their Mentor, Radhika Joshi is even quicker to agree to her. “I think we're like Naradmuni”, Divya jokes, everyone thinks it's funny but they agree to the fact that they are indeed the Naradmunis of the fest who give out all the information about what's happening here at Arthotsav to everyone else.

Their laughter is interrupted when I ask them that as most of them work for two different departments, what difference do they feel when working for social media and their other respective department, Miloni says, “With social media, there is a certain kind of freedom that you get, considering it is not an actual formal platform as such, you have the independence in the work that is cut out for you, there is no strict way to go on about it.”

“Also, I think this department is more flexible” Bhargav adds.

“When we're working for other departments, most of the work is physical, whereas here it's more on an abstract platform, and some people might think it's easier but you have to be very spontaneous and tech-savvy to get that reach and impression on your page”,Yash signs off the question and I ask them about what do they think is the one element they have that no other department does, what does Social media function on.

“I think unity is one of the major things, we all have been friends for a long time now and that makes the work more fun, we get to spend time with each other”, Krutika starts and Bhargav chimes in saying, “I think that's why the coordination works so well.”

“Yeah exactly! It's because we already know each other, we understand each other's ideas, there is room for everyone's opinions.” Krutika continues.

I then ask Suchitra and the mentor about what exactly goes on in the meetings of the department and Radhika says,“As we are social media, most of our discussions happen on WhatsApp” everyone shares nods and giggles before Suchitra says,“The way the meetings function is that Radhika tells me what all needs to be done, and I tell it to these guys and I try to keep the meetings as informal as I can because that's basically the job of social media and I wouldn't want people to be quite or be disciplined and not say anything in the meetings, I want them to have fun and pitch in ideas and I try to inculcate that using various strategies to bring out the best in them.”
When Suchitra finishes, and I begin with the next question, Radhika raises her hand saying that she wants to add something, she has a twinkle in her eyes and she smiles wide before addressing her department saying,“I just want to say that I'm really proud of the way you guys are working, your enthusiasm and your ideas, I love them, great job you guys.”

Everyone looks pretty proud of themselves and thanks their mentor as they give themselves a round of applause.

I come to the last question and ask them what is the one thing they would take away with them when Arthotsav ends,“In my first and second year, I worked for the creatives department, last year I was the HOD, this year since we made this new department, they wanted someone to look after whatever work Media had to do, I miss creatives, but I'm glad that I mentored, it's taught me a lot of things, I've got positive response from people saying, ‘Tumhara Social media kaun handle Kar Raha hai, content achha hai’, It feels good and I'm really glad” The mentor opens up and everyone else is all smiles. Divya adds, “I think one thing I will take away from this is how to genuinely appreciate someone's work, what makes our environment fun here is that we always appreciate each other. I think these are the ethics you learn to take forward in your life, you learn to appreciate and respect other people.”
“I think all of us have learned to think more openly, like the ideas we came up with, so I think everyone has learn something new working for Arthotsav this year”, Yash adds.
Since these guys are associated with social media, I tell them to describe their department in a hashtag, and everyone agrees that their hashtag would always be #Naradmunis. I chat with them for a couple of minutes, until they put their hoodies up, grab their social media icons and pose in the way that says, ‘We’re Social media and we're here to get stuff done and we're here to stay’

-Social Media Department in conversation with Aakanksha Sapre, FYBA.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Unveiling the Economic Impact of Ram Mandir Inauguration.

The Real Estate Crisis of the Dragon

Book Review : "Anne Frank : The Diary of a Young Girl"