The Wizard


When I was in college, I opted for Economics because all other students considered Economics difficult. I am from MD College. My college did not offer Econometrics which is why I could not pursue MA in it. I feel that is one of my handicaps. I always liked Maths and was very good in it during my college days. We had a Maths paper even in our MA curriculum and I scored very well in it.

My Ph.D. guide needed me to have a quantitative base and I told him that my only problem was that I forgot formulas very easily. He was very supportive of me and I developed my knowledge in Econometrics from thereon.

Later, I developed interest, but I was not sure if I wanted to get into teaching. I was doing a clerical job in Air India initially, but I quit after three months.

I taught in Ismail Yusuf College for six months. At that time, I met with a professor here at Ruparel and he said teachers like myself should work at Ruparel and I grabbed the opportunity. I have been teaching here since 1983 and am very lucky to be placed in Ruparel.

I have taken a lead role in the framing of syllabus and have been active in it for over twenty years. I was the chairman of Board of Studies for five years and have been in the Board since 2001. As the chairman, I tried to fill the gap between BA and MA syllabus so that students would not face any problems while pursuing their master’s. We have developed the syllabus in such a way that the students find Economics interesting, not difficult. Even while teaching in class, I incorporate examples from routine life.

Dr. Sule and Dr. Hirlekar were the Heads of the Economics Department before me and they gave me freedom to introduce new papers in the syllabus. I introduced Quantitative Economics instead of Labour Welfare or Research Methodology which has proved to be helpful for students.

Before Arthotsav I had started an intercollegiate quiz competition. It continued for 3 years, that is until the batch which started the quiz competition was still in college.

We are very happy to have started, rather nurtured Arthotsav. We have also financially supported Arthotsav as and when needed. We never told the students that it was completely financed by us one year. It is highly appreciated that students from other faculties also support Arthotsav equally.

We started Arthotsav eight years ago because we liked the suggestion from students. Coincidentally enough, the Chairperson of first Arthotsav, Vinay Vakhare, got married this week. I had taken their batch to RBI to explain them the cheque clearing system. That inspired a first-year student like him to curate a festival of Economics in our college.

Many students have developed interest in Economics because of Arthotsav. Even students who had not opted for Economics in their first years have decided to major in it in their final years and have made their careers in Economics.

Educational tours help students to develop interest in the subject and I consider them an important part of the curriculum. I call other field trips educational tours as well, as students get to understand the diversity – both economic and cultural. It gives us a chance to find out hidden talent amongst students. They learn to adjust with new people. We have had students in the past who are excelling in the field of Management today because of the skills they acquired here.

I do not believe that there is an ideal student-teacher relationship. It is highly subjective and the distance to be maintained is mutually understood.

I am very lucky to have had incredible teachers in the past. Big shots, really. Some of them were working with the RBI and Planning Commission. They had a vast experience as they were on the verge of their retirement.

One of my best teachers, Dr. Rao taught me how to teach graphs. Prof. S. H. Deshpande taught me how to teach Indian Economy.

I have witnessed my confidence in teaching develop over the years. Now I feel comfortable walking in a classroom with just a chalk in my hand and no books at all. I strongly believe that if you know an Economic concept thoroughly, you can impart it to others with the help of graphs and equations.

After my retirement in May 2019, I will not miss Ruparel. I have enjoyed my teaching career, every moment of it here in Ruparel. All good things come to an end.

I have been training Anita ma’am for the last two years. I involve her in every decision I take, or I let her make decisions on behalf of me.

For what I have attained until now, the credits go to my students. They have asked me their difficulties and that made me read good books.

Mastery over the subject and reputation cannot be achieved without perseverance. Students should learn to accept challenges and grow through them.

I wish all the best to students for Arthotsav 2019.

-Dr. Prakash Salvi
HoD, Department of Economics


Interviewed by:
Suchitra Harnahalli
SYBA

Chandramaul Mishra
FYBA

Credits:
Sanyukta Buwa
TYBA 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Unveiling the Economic Impact of Ram Mandir Inauguration.

The Real Estate Crisis of the Dragon

Book Review : "Anne Frank : The Diary of a Young Girl"