The Fellowship


Ever since I was a student, I knew I wanted to be a teacher. I had no second thoughts.

I have always liked Economics. Importance of Economics can be realised in our day-to-day lives. From managing money to making optimum use of what you have at hand, Economics teaches you to behave rationally. We can see it being applied by our students when we ask them to arrange a programme.

I have been working with Salvi Sir since the last twenty years. In my long journey, I got to learn a lot from him. He has been a true mentor to me. He will retire this year and Utpat ma’am will retire next year. Three of us have been working cooperatively for twenty years.

I keep thinking about the changes in our department after Salvi Sir retires.

The newly appointed professors will not know anything about our department. I will definitely face some pressure while accommodating the new professors. I am confident that I will be able to manage it because of Salvi Sir’s training. Salvi Sir has been giving me freedom and we share a liberal relationship.

An incident from about nine years ago is clear in my head even to this day:
I offered Salvi Sir a flower on Gurupournima and he was very surprised. He said he had not taught me anything. I told him that even if he had not taught me academics, he had taught me so much more.

The course on Elementary Quantitative Techniques was introduced by Salvi Sir in Ruparel. He understands the growing importance of quantitative Economics and urges students to opt for Statistics right from the start. Post-graduate students tell us that they are relieved to have studied Maths and Statistics in the undergraduate course.

Salvi Sir is an avid reader. He has always made his students read good reference books.

Together we have always arranged many trips over the years. Field trips fill the gap between theory and practice and give students an insight into the actual world. We do not make it obligatory, but we think students should make good use of the opportunity we provide them. Arthotsav and field trips are a platform for students to find their own interests. ‘Sharing and caring’ is what sums up their experience of working and living together.

The students are always enthusiastic for Arthotsav. I am sure this year also it is going to be a huge success.

-Prof. Anita Hamand
Chairperson, Economica

Interviewed by:
Suchitra Harnahalli
SYBA

Chandramaul Mishra
FYBA

Credits:
Sanyukta Buwa
TYBA

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Unveiling the Economic Impact of Ram Mandir Inauguration.

The Real Estate Crisis of the Dragon

Book Review : "Anne Frank : The Diary of a Young Girl"